Re: [ox-en] Re: Scarcity, limitedness, deposits, needs

Stefan Merten schrieb am Mittwoch, 28. Dezember 2005 um 15:18 Uhr [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]:

As far as nature is concerned the question now is if there could be
(societal) conditions where the limited capacities of nature do not
lead to a rival situation but to abundance. This is possible in
principle - for instance the air that we breathe is not (yet) a rival
natural resource.

If I understand Franz and others right then it could be possible that
there is technology which could at least help here.

right, Stefan, but it is a combination of technology and other patterns
which are
equaly important, for example land use, settlement patterns etc.

If we all want to settle in the same place, location and even clean air
becomes much more
a positional good then if we use the planets surface equally.

Thats one of the core ideas of Global Villages. MENTALLY we are more
connected
than ever before, but PHYSICALLY we could go into comfortable seclusion
rather
than inevitable competition for positional goods in dense environments.

Well, I have not much of a problem to weaken my position to
"Reciprocity is ok as long as it is no longer the central organizing
principle of the society." This would be indeed similar to how the
relevance of religion changed from feudal to burgeoise societies. It
still exists but is no longer the central organizing principle of
capitalism. May be we can agree on that?

I would immediately agree on that. We accept reciprocity as long as there
is no better solution. That, by the way is what I meant with
"internal/external",
(in the thread on "virtual" cooperatives)
you got me wrong if you think the internal is necessary small and the
external
is necessary big. In fact I am hoping very much that the common
participative
resources (as I use to call it) will shape the nature of our daily life
very soon.
But we should not brag too much before coming somehow closer to this state.

Franz