Re: [ox-en] Re: Scarcity, limitedness, deposits, needs

Hi Franz and all!

Slowly catching up ;-) .

3 months (113 days) ago Franz Nahrada wrote:
Stefan Merten schrieb am Mittwoch, 28. Dezember 2005 um 15:18 Uhr [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]:
As far as nature is concerned the question now is if there could be
(societal) conditions where the limited capacities of nature do not
lead to a rival situation but to abundance. This is possible in
principle - for instance the air that we breathe is not (yet) a rival
natural resource.

If I understand Franz and others right then it could be possible that
there is technology which could at least help here.

right, Stefan, but it is a combination of technology and other patterns
which are
equaly important, for example land use, settlement patterns etc.

Just for clarifying notions: I'd include these things in a wider sense
of the word technology.

If we all want to settle in the same place, location and even clean air
becomes much more
a positional good then if we use the planets surface equally.

Which implies that all places on this planet are equally suited for
settling. Especially if land shall be used for agriculture I even know
this is not the case.

Thats one of the core ideas of Global Villages. MENTALLY we are more
connected
than ever before, but PHYSICALLY we could go into comfortable seclusion
rather
than inevitable competition for positional goods in dense environments.

Whether or not seclusion is felt as comfortable is up to the people
IMHO. History shows that people always tended to go to cities. I think
this means something.

Also I can not see that competition for positional goods is inevitable
in cities. I for one don't feel that way for instance.

I'd also think that about competitive resources in cities there can be
done a lot if there is a societal will. If I understand you correctly
then you say this is not possible in principle. Can you give reasons
for your statement?

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.