Re: [ox-en] lovely ibm mantra

Interesting. Thanks

  Here is some related material, part of the next 2 P2P News letters, at  the bottom of this issue, I have compiled the special issues dealing  with peer production and capitalism

      http://www.bubblegeneration.com/2005/11/peer-production-peer-production.cfm
  click on the 2 presentations on the right, the most advanced thinking I  have seen on integrating peer production within capitalism

  and here's a statement by Sun CEO:

      Peer Production (4): Open Source as a Revenue Model
      http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jonathan?entry=free_like_a_puppy
      2. Open Source as a revenue  model

      Sun doesn't have a single customer, worldwide, that will run  an unsupported product in their datacenter. Do such customers exist?  Surely. They're called developers. Or startups. Or companies or economies that  want to build their own internal support teams. That's the target for the  Solaris Enterprise System. That's who uses free software without support  contracts. And you're not going to win them over if you don't provide them with  free and open source products. And if you don't provide them with the  technology to use, they'll find someone else's free products.       Opening up the Solaris Enterprise System, and giving it away for free, lowers the barrier to finding those opportunities.  Free software creates volumes that lead the demand for deployments -  which generate license and\n support revenues just as they did before the  products were free. Free software grows revenue opportunities.
  Opening up Solaris and giving it away for free has led to the  single largest wave of adoption Solaris has ever seen - some 3.4  million licenses since February this year (most on HP, curiously). It\'s  been combined with the single largest expansion in its revenue base. I  believe the same will apply to the Java Enterprise System, its identity  management and business integration suites specifically. Why?
  Because no Fortune 2000 customer on earth is going to run the  heart of their enterprise with products that don\'t have someone\'s home  number on the other end. And no developer or developing nation,  presented with an equivalent or better free and open source product, is  going to opt for a proprietary alternative.
  Those two points are the market\'s reality. And having reviewed  them today at length at a customer conference, with some\n of the largest  telecommunications customers on earth, I only heard the strongest  agreement. They all, after all, are prolific distributors of free  handsets.
  Betting against FOSS is like betting against gravity. And free  software doesn\'t mean no revenue, it means no barriers to revenue. Just  ask your carrier.

  3. More informatin

  The open source competitor to Word is approaching 50m downloads

  http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39231617,00.htm
",1]  );    //-->
      Opening up the Solaris Enterprise System, and giving it away  for free, lowers the barrier to finding those opportunities. Free  software creates volumes that lead the demand for deployments - which generate  license and support revenues just as they did before the products were free.  Free software grows revenue opportunities.
      Opening up Solaris and giving it away for free has led to  the single largest wave of adoption Solaris has ever seen - some 3.4 million  licenses since February this year (most on HP, curiously). It's been combined  with the single largest expansion in its revenue base. I believe the same will  apply to the Java Enterprise System, its identity management and business  integration suites specifically. Why?
      Because no Fortune 2000 customer on earth is going to run  the heart of their enterprise with products that don't have someone's home  number on the other end. And no developer or developing nation, presented with  an equivalent or better free and open source product, is going to opt for a  proprietary alternative.
      Those two points are the market's reality. And having  reviewed them today at length at a customer conference, with some of the  largest telecommunications customers on earth, I only heard the strongest  agreement. They all, after all, are prolific distributors of free handsets.
      Betting against FOSS is like betting against gravity. And  free software doesn't mean no revenue, it means no barriers to revenue. Just  ask your carrier.

  **
  for further info, see the special issue at http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p
        -           Issue 110 = Peer  Production;
  Issue 103 = Funding for Peer  Production;
  Issue 101-102 = P2P and Market Exchange
  Issue  98 =   1) P2P Economic Governance , tools; 2) P2P and Capitalism;
  Issue  92 =   1) Peer Production
  Issue  87 =  1) P2P Capitalism; 2) P2P Hierarchy  Theory;

Geert Lovink <geert xs4all.nl> wrote:  http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=13664_0_43_0_C

Big Blue Bit by the Blogging Bug

Blogging, just like the Internet, World Wide Web, Linux, and open
source, is a major initiative in the marketplace that we should be part
of.

By Irving Wladawsky-Berger [IBM] |

Earlier this week, the Journal News  published an interesting article
on IBM's blogging initiative?"Big Blue Bit by the Blogging Bug" written
by reporter Julie Moran Alterio, who interviewed me for the article.
She asked me why IBM encouraged its employees to participate in the
blogging community, to which I replied that "we absolutely recognize
that blogging, just like the Internet, World Wide Web, Linux, and open
source, is a major initiative in the marketplace that we should be part
of. The best way to be part of it is not to observe it passively but to
do it actively." I also commented on the difference between blogs and
other more institutional, less personal forms of communication: "Even
if you're writing about mainframes or you're writing about XML, it's
your personal style that comes across. What you choose to write about
is which of the contents of your head are you sharing with the world."

Yahoo! Photos

 What are the most popular cars?  Find out at Yahoo! Autos