Re: [ox-en] Open Source Projects as Voluntary Hierarchies

Stefan,

  Thanks for sharing this.

  I have started a little experiment with a Top 10 of P2P Books. If any  of you could check and comment to that selection, suggest add-ons, and  perhaps look at the whole directory list and see what is missing?

  See http://p2pfoundation.net/index.php/Category:Books

  The entry of Voluntary Leadership is here at
  http://p2pfoundation.net/index.php/Voluntary_Hierarchy

  Related articles on various aspects of peer governance are indexed here
  http://integralvisioning.org/staticpages/index.php?page=p2p-fullindex3#552

  I hope I do not annoy people by listing such references?

  Michel

Hi list!

Last month (57 days ago) Stefan Merten wrote:
Last week (11 days ago) Geert Lovink wrote:
Weber, Steven (2004) The Success of Open Source. Cambridge, MA,
Harvard UP
ISBN: 0-674-01292-5, pp. 311

Sounds like a *very* interesting book and a really bright author :-) .
Indeed I think Weber understood a lot of Free Software.

I just started reading the book and from the first few pages I'm
*amazed*.

Allow me a few citations.

In the Preface:

  By experimenting with fundamental notion+s id what constitutes
  property, this community has reframed and recast dome of the most
  basic problems of governance. At the same time,m it is remaking
  the politics and economics of the software world. If you believe
  (as I do) that software constitutes at once some of the core tools
  and core rules for the future of how human beings work together to
  cerate wealth, beauty, new ideas, and solution to problems, then
  understanding how open source can change this processes is very
  important.

In Chapter 1 "Propery and the Problem of Software":

  I explain the creation of a particular kind of software - open
  source software - as an experiment in social organization around a
  distinctive notion of property. The conventional notion of property
  is, of course, the right to exclude your from using something that
  belongs to me. Property in open source is configured fundamentally
  around the right to distribute, not the right to exclude. If that
  sentence feels awkward on first reading, that is a testimony to just
  how deeply embedded in our intuitions and institutions the
  exclusion view of property really is.

Yes! Yes! Yes! :-) This guy really has the courage to *think*!

  What would a broader version of this political economy really look
  like? This book uses the open source story as a vehicle for
  proposing a set of preliminary answers to that very large question.

Sound really familiar :-) I'm keen to know his answers.

  Ultimately the success of open source is a political story. The open
  source software process is not a chaotic free-for-all in which
  everyone has equal power and influence. And is is certainly not an
  idyllic community of like-minded friends i which consensus reigns
  and agreement is easy. In fact, conflict is not unusual in this
  community; it's endemic and inherent to the open source process. The
  management of conflict is politics and indeed there is a political
  organization at work here, with the standard accouterments of power,
  interests, rules, behavioral norms, decision-making procedures, and
  sanctioning mechanisms. But it is not a political organization that
  looks familiar to the logic of an industrial-era political economy.

I'm really amazed. If the book keeps what the first few pages promise
this book seems to me like a must-read for people interested in
Oekonux :-) . (No I don't get provisions ;-) ).

- --
Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.

Be a chatter box. Enjoy free PC-to-PC calls  with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.