Re: [ox-en] Multi-local societies and Global Villages

Michael Bouwens wrote yesterday:
 Daniel Quinn's neo-tribalism
(http://www.p2pfoundation.net/index.php/Beyond_Civilization), is not a
primitivist plea for a return to the tribal era, but rather for a  return
of the type of close relationships which existed at that time,
but starting from the conditions of today. I have not studied it in  depth,
but I think it makes a lot of sense.

Well, if you will study it in depth, you may find out that it doesn't make
a lot of sense...  E.g. Quinn's basic claim in the text referenced above
is that "Tribalism is non-hierarchical" -- wrong!  Tribes have chiefs
and clan hierarchies (i.a. in family clans, e.g. parents > children,
and oldest sibling > ... > youngest sibling).  The hierarchies may be less
tall and more informal than in complex civilizations, but that is mainly
due to the small population size of the tribe, and it doesn't mean the
absence of hierarchy!

Quinn makes the grave mistake of vilifying hierarchy as such when in fact
the problem isn't hierarchy but who is in charge (incompetent predators).
If hierarchy is based on technical competence and real on-the-ground
abilities, it is good and makes sense, in that the decisions will be made
by those who actually know best, instead of by bullies, fraudsters or
preposterous fools.

But the main problem with (radical) neo-tribalism, as you found out in the
2nd posting, is that it is anti-technology.  And I may add, anti Producer-
emancipation.  That's what it makes no option for the information society
which has to be based on hi-tech civilization.  This is where I see the
contradiction with "Global Villages" -- with or without "hubs", btw.

Chris