Re: [ox-en] Impressions from WOS 4

Hi Stefan,

  I use 3 arguments in my p2p seminars to argue about the expansion of peer production into the material sphere:

  1) it can happen everywhere where resources can be distributed, hence  the importance of user-capitalized networks, p2p and mutual financing  schemes, desktop manufacturing ecologies

  2) it can happen everywhere where the design phase can be separated  from the centralized production sphere; the design can be done in peer  production using open source licenses; with the production taken up a  posteriori

  3) the virtual commons can help strengthen physical commons, by linking  objects (physical sphere), to licenses (the logical sphere), to RFID's  or other digitally linked tags (digital sphere). The while bicycle  project of the Deutsche Bahn, or Bookcrossing, are examples of this.
  (got this last insight from Martin Springer ... really interesting guy working on open DRM projects)

  Michel

Hi Stefan!

Thanks for your report. I added it to

 http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/Oekonux/Research/ImpressionsWOS4

hoping you won't mind.

Last week (8 days ago) Stefan Meretz wrote:
What was only a fantasy at first Oekonux conference in Dortmund (2001),
has now become reality: The ideas of free software had been overtaken
in many areas of the society -- globally.

Yes. The idea spreads out :-) .

Like the GNU GPL for the
domain of software had been an important trigger and safeguard of a
free space, so are the CreativeCommons-Licenses for content of
any kind.

Absolutely. I think the value of CreativeCommons licenses can not be
overestimated. As I said some time ago they *are* a big trigger for
all this.

Meanwhile the CC project counted 140 million backlinks to
their website. What GPL is for software, is CC for the area of culture.
Therefore "free culture" was the most used key term on WOS 4. If one
imagine this as a model of an "onion" consisting of "shells", then with
free culture we reached the second "shell" after the first "shell" (or
core) being free software. The third "shell" of the onion -- witch had
become clear at different points -- will be the core of societal
production, following my rampant thesis:-)

;-)

I'm not so sure whether we are already there. What we saw on WOS4 was
that the principles of production of Free Software spread out to other
digital goods. OpenAccess and Wikipedia are other important example
for this. But so far these are all relatively small islands and they
are surrounded by a huge ocean of capitalist production.

Thus I guess we will see more such islands emerge from the ocean over
time. Digital goods are certainly the most fertile ground so far so
all such goods can be expected to flourish. I guess this will work
similarly well and peaceful like Free Software.

But I think the material side will need some special break. I think
there is a big step from digital to material production - although I
have no doubts that it will happen. Today I'd say: I don't know when,
where it happens and which shape it will have - but I'm pretty sure
I/we will recognize it :-) .

Sorry for stupidities in my english.

Well, I had no difficulties understanding it :-) .

- --
Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.