Expansion into material sphere (was: Re: [ox-en] Impressions from WOS 4)

Hi Michel and all!

3 weeks (27 days) ago Michael Bouwens wrote:

And this is probably what he responded to:

Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de> wrote:
I'm not so sure whether we are already there. What we saw on WOS4 was
that the principles of production of Free Software spread out to other
digital goods. OpenAccess and Wikipedia are other important example
for this. But so far these are all relatively small islands and they
are surrounded by a huge ocean of capitalist production.

Thus I guess we will see more such islands emerge from the ocean over
time. Digital goods are certainly the most fertile ground so far so
all such goods can be expected to flourish. I guess this will work
similarly well and peaceful like Free Software.

But I think the material side will need some special break. I think
there is a big step from digital to material production - although I
have no doubts that it will happen. Today I'd say: I don't know when,
where it happens and which shape it will have - but I'm pretty sure
I/we will recognize it :-) .

  I use 3 arguments in my p2p seminars to argue about the expansion
  of peer production into the material sphere:

  1) it can happen everywhere where resources can be distributed,
  hence  the importance of user-capitalized networks, p2p and mutual
  financing  schemes, desktop manufacturing ecologies

Well, as long as you say money it is really difficult to decouple such
a type of production from the capitalist sphere. In fact I think it is
impossible: If such a way of production would result in improved
products then some clever capitalist would have tried this out
already.

May be the fundamental problem is the need for raw resources which -
so far - can only be bought and are not available.

Free Software for a good part is built on computers which are
available to private persons - today typically in their household -
together with an Internet connection. This means that the machinery
needed for being productive is easily available - it is abundant.

The other resource Free Software needs is brainpower. This is under
the control of private persons anyway. Indeed there are no other raw
resources involved. Or to put it differently: The means of production
needed are all Free already.

I could imagine that this is an important precondition. That would
mean that real Free material goods can be produced only from other
real Free material goods. To start we thus need a resource which
already exists in abundance.

  2) it can happen everywhere where the design phase can be
  separated  from the centralized production sphere; the design can
  be done in peer  production using open source licenses; with the
  production taken up a  posteriori

This is certainly an important condition. In particular this makes
half-Free models like service models in Free Software possible: The
good is Free but the service for the good is not.

Some years ago we discussed about Free chip design where chip
manufacturers could use the design to produce computer chips. Does
anyone know whether this really took off?

  3) the virtual commons can help strengthen physical commons, by
  linking  objects (physical sphere), to licenses (the logical
  sphere), to RFID's  or other digitally linked tags (digital
  sphere). The while bicycle  project of the Deutsche Bahn, or
  Bookcrossing, are examples of this.

You mean by transferring the information part to the Internet?

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.