Re: [ox-en] Free Software and social movements in South America

* What kind of connection is there between social movements and Free
 Software exactly? What is the nature of this connection? How strong
 is it really?

The "social" part of free software is often a bit lacking. A lot of FS hackers
just aren't very social. Unfortunately I have seen the same with a lot of people
who are heavily into Wikipedia.
But this might change, possibly by creating more ties with the free culture
movement, and 'real' social networks, like CouchSurfing.

* Why in contrast is there no strong connection between Free Software
 and social movements in more industrialized countries?

During my travels I haven't seen stronger connections in non-industrialized
countries. But maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

* Can this phenomenon of the strong connection between Free Software
 and social movements in South America be compared to other
 phenomenons happening around Free Software?

I have worked for CEPES, an NGO in Peru, and they were aware of free
software and its importance. But they seemed an exception. Brazil
might be a
different situation, but I haven't encountered a single GNU/Linux machine
in the 3 weeks I traveled there.

Kasper