[ox-en] Re: Importance of price

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for following up.

And Free Software is certainly a product because it is not given to us
by nature - instead it is produced by someone. Again no doubt.

Which part of free software you consider as a product - source code, binary code, distribution, maintenance (since software is never a finished product)? And which part of these should be gratis?

There are growing cases showing how free software developers can make a living of providing consultancy, service, or even developing software released under free software licences. In the UK, a lot of government-funded research software are free software, but the developers are paid to do the development. Google develops a lot of free software as well, and their developers are paid. Although Ubuntu (and many other Linux distributions) is free/gratis, but users have to pay if they would like to have bugs fixed quickly, or other services. These all show that there is an economy of free software growing.

Independent free software developers who do not work for the governments or big companies usually have to face an ignorant question from their users/customers: shouldn't free software be free of charge? These customers are misled to expect free labour (or cheaper labour) from these free software developers. And it is frustrating to them having to explain this all the time.

Back to the relationship between free software and art, artists do make money out of creating art as well. People need to pay a price to have these artists around, directly or indirectly, visible, or invisible.

However, the Oekonux perspective - and I say perspective instead of
ideology on purpose - is different. On purpose because Oekonux is not

Ok - if this talk is about Oekonux, then I think you can present Oekonux's vision. However, I think if you'd like to give an introduction on free software, it's still better to clarify free software does not mean gratis. Advocacy on free software is very important and much appreciated, but we should not provide illusion to the audience. We should provide a vision without compromising to the reality - making free software development sustainable.

Good luck with the presentation.

Best wishes,
yuwei

--