Economy of Free Software (was: Re: [ox-en] Slides for Lancaster)

Hi Gregers!

Last week (8 days ago) Gregers Petersen wrote:
 in order to promote an economy of free software.

And how do you then see this economy which should be promoted - what
kind of economy is it, if it is one?

Well, that probably depends largely on your definition of economy.

AFAIK the textbook definition of economy is coping with scarcity -
which IMHO is a pretty stupid definition. Anyway in this sense Free
Software can not build a economy because there is no scarcity - at
least not for the published products. (I remember Steven Weber
dicussed the question where the scarcity in Free Software is but I
can't remember his answer.)

Wikipedia has a more useful definition:

  An economy is the system of human activities related to the
  production, distribution, exchange, and consumption of goods and
  services of a country or other area.

According to this Free Software clearly *is* already an economy.