Re: [ox-en] Re: [ox-en] Re: [ox-en] Re: [ox-en] Re: [ox-en] built-in infinitegrowth (was: Re:Meaning ofmarkets, scarcity, abundance)

Dmytri Kleiner wrote:

The element of direct competition (e.g. burning of more blankets etc.)

What about simply generating greater wealth? If an element of competition,
i.e. a belief that more is better and that having more surplus reflects on the
status of
the chief, then why would competition appear simply because of the
appearance of blankets?

If you could provide some references that would be very useful, as I have
not
come across this claim that potlatch only became competitive after European
contact
in Mauss, etc.

Apart from Mauss - what have you read?

Simply because it turned obscene does not tell me that it was not
competitive, and thereby
expansion oriented before.

I don't think I've stated that competition was something completely new - I just made the attempt at stating that the importance of the "competitive" element took over during the direct colonial contact.
Further, "competition" does not need to be tied to "expansion".

Thanks for the references, the point is not whether or not anthropologist
"know shit." The point is
that when you make fallacious arguments, you do not help the rest of us
know shit.

I just made the statement that 'kula' is not money, and based it on a reference to the work of an accepted academic category - and thereafter wondered why nobody has shown any interest in asking: If 'kula' is not money, what is it then? But, read the mentioned book + I could suggest that when you have finished that one then continue with: Nicholas Thomas: Entangled objects. 1991, Harvard University Press.

--

Gregers Petersen
Anthropologist, Ph.d fellow

Free Software & Ownership