Re: [ox-en] reprap, exploitation, free goods etc

Patrick,

Of course you know that I don't think you should be silent.

But, it seems that you think that myself, and others should be doing
something different than we are doing now.

So, you've told us what you think we should be doing differently. I've
responded that I think there are some reasons why what you suggest will not
work in real-world conditions, with the people, cultures, worldviews that I
am working with.

So, that is my response to your original question of "why are you focusing
on this, when you could be focusing on user-owner instead?"

The response again is because I do not think that the people, and their
existing worldviews and culture will resonate with, adopt, or employ what
you suggest.

I do think that people like myself, "early adopters", will be willing to
experiment with the idea, to try it out. That is something that I have
offered in the past.

But, I know that pretty much the only way to make people change in ways they
are not ready to, by your own schedule, is at gunpoint, "revolution" style.
And then, as in the past when this method is employed, you haven't really
changed those people, you have actually caused them to regress into
fear-based ways of solving problems. Not that I think that this is what you
want to do. But, it is the only way that works to make social change happen
when people are not yet ready for it, which *is* what you are asking for.

Otherwise, you're at the mercy of other people being ready, willing, and
able to accept your solutions to problems of existence. There is no way to
speed it up, save creating the conditions that help people be ready for
change.

Actually, I take that back, I think there is one way to speed up "user
owner", and that is for *you* to create a real-world working example that
shows people how it's done, instead of telling people they should adopt
model that no-one can yet find any concrete proof upon which to base
assumptions about it. Lead us by example. That is what the open source
software developers that you are talking about did. They *built* software,
and shared it under paradigms of their creation, and thus proved that their
system was sustainable.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius gmail.com>