[ox-en] Re: [pox] Admin: Major major problem with server infrastructure

Hi all!

Last week (9 days ago) Stefan Merten wrote:
As I learned just a few minutes ago our server provider stops services
tomorrow. If I'm glad I'll be able to create at least a backup.

We were lucky enough to make a final update from our old server. I
don't want to imagine what would have happened if that had failed...

At the moment I have no idea how this continues. The whole Oekonux
infrastructure is probably unavailable for an unforeseeable time. I
and others will work to restore operation as soon as possible.

Meanwhile Holger and I

* purchased a new virtual server

* moved the `.de` domains to that server

* moved the `.org` domains to that server

* re-installed our old files

* tweaked configurations and made things work.

I don't want to bore you with the details but all this needed real
work, quick reactions and finding out how things like recovering
domains from TRANSIT state work. However, Free Software helped us: We
are now running on Ubuntu and came from Debian. Because of this we
could move many things 1:1 :-) .

As of now most things should work as before. One notable exception are
the Wikis which can be read but for some reason writing is not
possible. I'll look into this ASAP.

My personal mail adress was not reachable for some days. If anyone
here tried to send me a mail please try again.

Moving domains to new IP addresses also means some special problems:
Some computers get the new addresses earlier than others (because of
caching in name servers). That was why Graham and others were able to
send mail to [ox-en] yesterday but I for instance was not.

I'd like to use the opportunity to thank - one more time - Holger who
helped the best he can. Would he have not helped out with expertise
and work this disaster would have been much bigger than it was.