Re: [ox-en] There is no such thing like "peer money"

On 2008-07-09 01:43, Samuel Rose wrote:
But do you think, in reality that everyone *will* plausibly do away
with markets. That is my point

Markets do not base on will, but they are predominant mode of societal
mediation. Thus (at least) two questions arise: How can we organize a
societal mediation without money and markets? How can we switch from
one mode to the other?

The first question is answered by Christian in his peerconomy book. This
will not be the final answer, but all of what we are thinking are of
course not *final answers*.

Say the peerconomy-mode of societal mediation is predominant, then no
one *will* ask the question "do I what to have markets". Ok, maybe a
few guys will. The point is: If something is ubiquitous, there are no
questions, it simply works that way. If it works.

The second question of transition from one predominance to another is
the crucial one. One a very general level this question is answered by
germ form theory:
http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/StefanMerten/CapitalAndClass/GermFormTheoryConcept

And here you find the very deep reason, why we can not start to form an
alternative by using the old forms of social mediation: This only
reproduces these old forms. It never can make these form superfluous by
using them. On the other hand, the new type of mediation, of social
organisation, must in some sense compatible with the old forms, it must
be useful for markets and money-making! (cf. the third step)

Not reproducing the old forms and being useful at the same time is not a
contradiction: _We_ must not reproduce the old forms, because we don't
base on markets and money, _they_ like the new, because it help them
making money. If we try to build the new by using the old forms, _we_
become _they_.

This I agree with Christians statement: "I think we'll have to do
without money from the very start, otherwise the transition simply
won't take place."

Back to your question: *will* plausibly everyone do away with markets?
Yes, if there is a new predominant mode of social organisation.

Not that we shouldn't do away with them, but whether the collective
we of humanity will. I do not think everyone will. Not in my
lifetime.

The speed of the transition depend on two factors: How far does the new
mode have evolved? How deep will the coming crisis be? -- Nothing is
guaranteed, that's true.

Ciao,

Start here: www.meretz.de