Re: [ox-en] There is no such thing like "peer money"

Hi Franz,

I want to challenge a particular rendering of my argument,

below is the paragraph I'm reacting to.

I'm not saying that all money should go the core leaders.

What I'm saying is the following:

1) that for a community to be sustained over the long run, leaders are
important (i.e. the 1% doing 80% or more of the work). They may live for a
while from the interstices of the system, they may be replaced, but I think
the record showed that for the most successfull projects, they end up
getting paid. The second place where money intervenes is in the
infrastructure of cooperation.

2) however, it is just as important that for peer production to be
sustained, that it remains non-reciprocal. This means that this core cannot
be paid conditionally on allocated tasks, as in a wage labour relation, nor
contingent on output (as could happen in a cooperative). Of course, that
form of payment can happen, but not without changing it form peer production
into something else. Also, these paid leaders/committers/maintainers cannot
give orders to the voluntary contributors.

3) however, if that income preserves the voluntary contribution, i.e. both
the open development,  the non-application of division of labour logic, and
the commons oriented output, then such payment does not endanger the core of
the logic of peer production

DISCUSSED PARAGRAPH

The person that thought this question through on the deepest way is
Andrius Kulikauskas in his economy of giving everything away and later
works, Andrius would contradict you that all the money would have to go to
core leaders, but he would agree with you that quite much of the money
woulod go to core leaders. He drew a wonderful diagram that compares
"working for free" and "working for pay" and does not oppose these things,
but combine them in a productive way.