Re: Physical and other contemporary limits to peer production (was: Re: [ox-en] Re: "At Cost")

----- Original Message ----
From: Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de>
To: list-en oekonux.org
Cc: Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 3:15:19 AM
Subject: Physical and other contemporary limits to peer production (was: Re: [ox-en] Re: "At Cost")

- in fact, peer production does not seem to lead to cooperative production
in the physical sphere (though some exist), but to forms of built-only
netarchical enterprises

I do not fully understand what you mean by "built-only netarchical
enterprises". However, I wouldn't mind if peer production does not
lead to what leftists capitalist mind sets imagined as useful - aka
cooperatives.

I mean companies that built products but that are based on community-produced open designs, a capitalism without intellectual property monopolies and rent

Do you think Free Software projects are cooperatives?

No, but just as the community can work with companies; programmers could associate themselves in a cooperative, as does the OS Alliance, and so far, very few other initiatives:

see http://p2pfoundation.net/Free_Software_Cooperatives

A general mechanism I see at work is that peer producing communities, based
on their relative strength of their own mechanisms and infrastructures, can
nevertheless exert preferntial pressure on collaborating business ecologies,
thereby creating at least a more ethical capitalism

May be.

But if we want more, how do we do it.

We needed ~20 years to spread the idea of Free Software to other
fields of peer production. In historical terms I'd say that was really
quick. May be we could just wait, try to understand things as they
happen and help others with our explanation to stay right on track.

That is one thing the p2pfoundation effort is designed to do, observe and interpret, to promote new praxis without any a priori conception of how it 'should be done'

Michel