Re: [ox-en] There IS such a thing as peer money

I would just like to clarify something, about the concept of peer money,
taking into account's Stefan's critique

First of all, I agree with Stefan that peer production should be exclusively
used to moneyless processes involving voluntary contributions and universal
availability of the resulting common value.

In this sense, peer money is contradictory.

However, at present, peer to peer dynamics exist within a broader field
dominated by market (and state) processes, and it is of interest to peer
producers that the context in which it operates is as close as possible to
the non-alienating values of p2p.

Thus it is legimate that it is our wish to move towards a peer-informed
society and context, at least until such time as a presumable fuller p2p
society would exist, in which even lots of physical resources could possible
be produced and distributed in such a way.

I think it is crucial to think about such distinctions, between peer money
and peer-informed money and processes, the latter not being a contradiction
in terms

(however, there remains a theoretical possibility of peer money: if there
were some unconditional way to reward peer producers, with some form of
value that were usable outside the peer production process itself, that
could probably be characterized as peer money?)

So, one of the questions is then, how to reform the market structures?

A crucial aspect of this reform is to reform/transform the monetary system,
to arrive at a peer-informed monetary system. This involves refusing the
built-in infinite growth protocol of existing capitalist money, and using
money and finances with value-sensitive designs.

Otherwise we arrive at the, in my opinion, absurd position of Stefan, which
basically says: until such time as we have a peer to peer society, we are
happy to let capitalist money be, 'because it's all money anyway'.

Such a position is similar as the one saying: fascism and the keynesian
welfare state are all manifestations of bourgeois society, there the same
anyway, so  we don't choose one over the other.

No, they are not the same, and neither are the current system producing the
financial meltdown, and alternative value-conscious, peer-informed monetary
systems that have totally different results for social and natural
externalities.

So, in this sense, a project like Marc's called peer money for convenience's
sake, is totally legitimate and important,

Michel