Re: [ox-en] OpenSource design for netbook

buglabs also licenses its soft- and hardware under the GPLv3 (strange
that they refer to the GPL as open source license though), but the
modularity seems somewhat limited at this point, not sure how 'open'
buglabs modules are in practice, Soenke

http://www.buglabs.net/license

License

Bug Labs is committed to the principles of open source licensing, both
for the software we provide and the designs of our hardware. This
document outlines the various types of rights we grant in elements of
our products:

Software on the BUG.

Unless we indicate otherwise, the software that runs on the BUG is
licensed under open source terms.

When the software is owned by a third party, we pass along the terms
of that third party's license.

When the software is owned by us, we license it under the GPLv3,
unless third party license terms require us to use a different license
(such as Eclipse).

This means that for all the open source software on the BUG:

    * Copying is Allowed. You may make as many copies of the code as
you want. Running the code on a machine is not restricted.
    * Modifying is Allowed. You may modify the code.
    * Distribution is Allowed. You may redistribute the code, or your
modified versions.
    * Reciprocity / Share Alike is Usually Required. Most of the code
on the BUG is licensed under terms, such as GPLv3, that have a "share
alike" or "copyleft" provision. Different licenses implement this
concept in different ways, so you should review the applicable license
terms carefully. Click here to see a list of all the applicable
licenses. For more information about GPLv3, see the Free Software
Foundation's FAQ at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html.
    * Attribution is Required. You must provide attribution for the
author of the applicable code with each copy you distribute.

BUG Hardware Designs.

We provide the following kinds of materials describing the BUG
hardware and how it is built:

    * Schematics
    * Bills of materials ("BOMs")
    * CAD files for the plastic housings

We generally license these materials to you under GPLv3. Open source
software licenses do not always provide a great fit for these kinds of
materials, but our goal is to track the principles of open source
software as much as we can. When we license these materials under
GPLv3, the "source code" is the file format that can be manipulated by
the relevant tool—such as the CAD design tool, rather than the
resulting layout document.

This means that for these Bug hardware design materials:

    * Copying is Allowed. You can make as many copies of the materials
as you want.
    * Modifying is Allowed. You may modify the materials.
    * Distribution is Allowed. You may redistribute the materials, or
your modified versions.
    * Reciprocity / Share Alike is Required. The GPLv3's copyleft
provisions apply as with software code.
    * Attribution is Required. You must provide attribution for the
author of the applicable materials with each copy you distribute.

Can I make my own BUG and/or modules?

That's ok with us, as long as you comply with applicable laws and
regulations and don't infringe other parties' IP.

There is technology needed from third parties in order for you to
actually make a BUG. For example, you will need a CAD tool to
manipulate the housing design, you'll need to be (or hire) a
manufacturer to make the housing for you, and you will need to source
the components on the BOMs.

You are responsible for complying with laws and getting FCC or other
certifications for your device, and you are also responsible for
conducting your own investigations as to whether any patent or other
IP licenses are needed from third parties. Consistent with the
principles of open source licensing, we provide the software and
design materials in the hope they will be useful, but we provide them
AS IS without warranty, including WITHOUT WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD
PARTY RIGHTS.