Re: [ox-en] Website

On 2009-05-19 23:05, Stefan Merten wrote:
Yes, bloglike teasers from new articles and news.

Ok. Understood.

:-)

Interactivity: comments?

As far as I can see comments would be the first suggestion where
real, technical interactivity is needed. In the sense that someone
can enter some text in a web form. Right?

Yes, quite simple.

Possibly there could be a [link to a] new featured text on the
front page each month: this would be a way to rebuild from the
ground up by re-introducing new and old "important" [ox] texts.

Good idea!

And we could feed the topics from maillist debates into a sidebar.

Very good idea - especially because when automated this needs no more
effort :-) .

Of course automated. The question is, whether the mailinglist service
can deliver RSS or some other XML based formats. Then is would mean only
some clicks in most CMS.

The idea could be extended to ox "sister projects" like p2pf or
keimform. Using and mixing feeds is quite simple and powerful. Having
different sources of ox-near content on the website makes it more
attractive to visit the side from time to time.

Nowsdays much more important is, that all continous content streams
(internal and mixed external) are available via RSS too, because people
more and more do not vistit websites, but observe them via RSS.

Also I think it would be good to have some interaction where a
person involved in the theory or practice of peer production
responds to people / engages in dialogue every month.

This takes some effort to find people being ready to take this
"peer producer of the month" position, write some overview of the
activities etc.

I think we should try to prevent a fixed timing. I do not see that we
have the resources for this at the moment. But a fixed timing is
rarely needed in the web :-) .

Yes.

Another more relaxed way to do this could be an interview. We could
send a list of questions (which have to be carefully prepared) to
peer producers and theorists and present them on the side under
special category (to be easily find).

Well, I'll try to sort this a bit - to make it fit into my
non-web-designer brain ;-) .

By interactivity you basically mean that "the Oekonux community"
responds to / approaches someone outside "the Oekonux community".
Right?

Well, the borders are not sharp. Generally all people are addressed. But
due to having the mailing list as the main internal forum, comments are
an offer to outside people to get in touch with the project. Comments are
quite normal in open projects.

The other suggestions to me sound more like a regularly updated
website (beyond the mail archives of course which are regularly
updated).

Yes. First we could start to collect (and maybe translate) existing ox
texts and announce them via a small teaser news on the front page when
available. This could be acompanied by other news about events, texts,
debates etc. elsewhere. However, this implies that we need some editors
continously working on this (needing write access on the system).

Finally I want to raise the question of aesthetics. Evidently for
StefanMn it is important that the tools used conform to certain
standards. Another concern is that the website look and feel good.

An important point.

I'm a bloody layman here and my design capacity in these things are
non-existent. I'll gladly leave this to someone else...

The only requirement from my side is that the design should be not
too aggressive and - if possible - should work with 800px wide
screens - to make access for poorer people / countries easier. And of
course without any ads!

Ok, we'll should find something appropriate. I would prefer an flexible
layout which scales well in width and thus allows for 800px usage.

I could imagine having a blog in the front with promoted (existing)
articles and news, interviews, project-of-the-month etc. and a wiki
in the back where articles are collected and developed.
Alternatively a Content-Management-System with such corresponding
features could be used (like Drupal, Joomla etc.)

I used Plone_ a bit and it has a lot of features - among them
supporting reStructuredText. The installation I'm using in my job is
maintained by a non-technician so it should be fairly simple.
However, I have no idea whether all your ideas could be done with it.
Unfortunately the installation I'm using is a bit outdated so I can
not conclude from this.

.. _plone: http://plone.org/

Plone is a great idea! There are a lot of products available offering a
lot of services we need.

However, plone is a quite big system (it bases on ZOPE) and needs "some"
resources, so we have to check if Plone works on the ox-server. And to
reach sufficient performance, Plone needs some admin optimization and
additional tools (for Caching or whatever).

We should to think of a multi-language installation on the level of
pages/content (not only application).

Ciao,

Start here: www.meretz.de