Message 00771 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Direction of the journal (was Re: Ridiculous arguments (was: [jox] Journal report - 19 August 2011))

Hi Nate

Thanks for commenting. You raise a lot of good points.

Re. behaviour, unfortunately sometimes it is very hard to remain dispassionate and reasonable. This is part of what makes us human. Sorry if I upset others. I was indeed upset myself, emotionally and even physically (insomnia). I feel bad that Alex Halavais left because he significantly contributed to our discussions but I don't think the strong words had much to do with that, could be wrong but my sense is that he just used the opportunity of someone else leaving to announce an already-made decision.

Re. the journal I think of it like this: imagine two perpendicular axes which intersect.
One could be called "critical outlook" - with marxism at one end and post-structuralism (or any other non-marxist methodology) at the other
The other could be called "area of inquiry" with empirical research at one end and philosophy/theory at the other

I could be completely wrong but most people involved in the journal would be able to place themselves somewhere inside this quadrant.

To my mind there needs to be a balance between having space for all positions (what you and Michel advocate) and having a clear identity and function. This project arose because of Oekonux, and though I have argued several times that it is not in any way identical to it, in particular in having more diversity of POVs, in my view a core function of the journal is to develop a critical distance from existing conditions, namely - amongst other factors - industrial capitalism and its attendant social/ecological order. For me other perspectives should position themselves around, complement, criticise this core function, or at any rate try not to lose sight of it. This is the activist/critical side. I have been meaning to synthetise the various contributions on this we had a couple weeks ago to see if we can outline a common position for inclusion in the next issue.

So I hear what you say about channeling list energy into publications but not sure how the energy/conversation can be generated without the list?

Re. servers etc, there might be a need to do something like that if problems persist in the future. So far StefanMn has been fine in terms of helping out when needed for infrastructure issues. Though not for website design. The situation now is one of maximum autonomy for the people making the journal. Not sure how that would pan out elsewhere? We need to set up a Table of contents page listing all contributions chronologically for the next issue. I will try to do this, and see how we go.

OK, this is already longer than I intended.

cheers

Mathieu