Message 00931 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] A response to Michel and Jakob

Hi all.
I have an article which speculates about how a fully fledged p2p society
will work. Michel, Matheiu (ONeil), and Johan Soderberg have seen a
draft. A few other people now have read article, too, including Orsan.
Actually Michel passed it to Orsan. Now part of this article will be
published in the Journal Of Peer Production, which I hope will take off
soon. The other part which outlines the working of p2p society is not
published yet.
Now, I have questions.
First, if I post my article in this mailing list, will that prevent me
to publish it later in academic Journal?
Second, what are the rule of recognition among the members of this
mailing list? Asume x formulates an original idea for the first time in
this exchange or in an unpublished manuscript which is posted here or
passed to some people who are the members of this list. Then Y includes
this idea in a publication. Is Y obliged to recognize that x is the
origin of the idea?
In the academic world this is the practice, and I think recognition will
remain a core aspect of p2p. I

Depending on your answers, I may post may article here..

All the best
Jakob

Michel Bauwens 03/20/12 12:17 AM >>>

Hans-Gert,

I appreciate your concern and I agree on the Open Capitalism point and I

have been writing about this since at least 2005, using 'netarchical
capitalism' as a concept .. But the Roman system used coloni, and that
didn't preclude its eventual disappearance and replacement by the feudal

system. Similarly, forces within the feudal system started adopting
capitalist practices, but that didn't prevent its demise and replacement
by
capitalism. So, the fact that peer production is used by capital, just
as
it is being used by peer producers, is not an argument against the
emancipatory potential and
'reality-of-class-struggle-between-peer.producers-and-netarchical.capital'.

Both can co-exist and actually one is the condition of the other ..
there
would have been no capitalism and feudalism without proto-capitalism and

proto-feudalism.

So the question is not to argue relentlessly for the infinity of
capitalism, but to ask ourselves, 'what can we do to change it', what
are
the leverage points within the current contradictory system, between a
system based on contradictions, to effect change in our own interest as
workers and peer producers.

Wasn't that the whole point of marxism, i.e. "not to interpret reality,
but
to change it"

Do you really think that it is mathematically and physically possible
for
an infinite growth system to exist indefinitely ... If yes, I'd like to
hear the arguments for its infinite perennity, which in my understand
would
require an overturning of the physical laws that we know. If not, if
capitalism is not infinite, how do we change it.

I'm going to send, in the next email, a copy of my next article for al
jazeera, embargoed please, where I try to show why economies of scope
obtained by peer production, are vital to replace unsustainable
economies
of scale of the capitalist system, and why periods of energy descent
need
such systems. Since by all accounts we have entered such a period, we
have
to contemplate an alternative to the system, either one that is another
ferocious class system, but not based on infinite accumulation; or,
potentially, a commons-based system which prepares the ground for a
transition to classlessness.

But forgive me if I feel that an approach that is centered on exposing
the
strengths of the enemy 'again and again', is much less interesting that
one
that analyses the strength of an enemy, in order to overcome it and find

the best ways to do this,

Michel