Re: [ox-en] Free time (was: Re: Free administration)

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Timm Murray wrote:

 I am still looking for a term that is not confusing to a person who is a
native English speaker and can bring over nearly the same connotations as
"Free Software".  Perhaps the more Latin-based "libreware" (Liberty Software)
would work.

  I wouldn't spend too much time on this.  As a uni-lingual North American
I'll remind you that very few terms, including Liberty itself, is well
understood in the common culture of North America.

  I don't intend to start a flamewar from other North Americans, but there
is much to be changed in the current culture which tends to be based on
"Ruggid Individualism" and the attempted denial of the basic
interdependence of all things.  We even have
Microsoft/Disney/Monsanto-style extremists claiming that information
sharing, Free Software, and even Liberty itself are "un-American".

  I personally stick with the term "Free Software" partly because I want
to raise the issue of language and how we have forgotten so much of what
we previously took for granted.

---
 See http://weblog.flora.org/ for announcements, activities, and opinions
 "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise,
  we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky