[ox-en] "illegal operating systems such as Lunix"
- From: "geert lovink" <geert xs4all.nl>
- Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:59:47 +1100
in times of paranoia, some step up parental 'advice'...
http://www.adequacy.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/12/2/42[PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]
Hacker signs for parents of teenagers:
* Queries as to the family's use of a respectable ISP such as AOL.
* Strange hacker programs on the computer, including Comet Cursor and Flash.
* Requests for faster video cards or new processors from third world
companies such as AMD.
* Fascination with illegal operating systems such as Lunix. The article
points out that lunix may damage your computer, and even break it completely
by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer
repaired by a professional.
* Interest in hacking manuals such as "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson;
"Neuromancer" by William Gibson; "Programming with Perl" by Timothy
O'Reilly; "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland; and "The Cathedral and the
Bazaar" by Eric S. Raymond.
* Argumentative nature. The article points out that the teenager will find
it difficult to talk about this problem with you, and will tell you to "back
off" and "stop smothering him."
* Unusual clothing, including baggy pants, bright colored shirts and spiky
hair dyed in bright colors to match their clothes.