Re: [ox-en] "Selbstentfaltung", "self-unfolding" or what?

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 18:16:19 -0500 (EST), Graham Seaman <graham seul.org>
wrote:

[...]
'Humanistic radicalism is radical questioning guided by insight into the
dynamics of man's nature; and by concern for man's growth and full
unfolding.'
http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ira/illich/texts/fromm_on_illich/fromm_on_illich.html

So 'unfolding' in this sense isn't new to English after all. But it
does lead to another question: why 'self'? In the discussion of the
term on this list (ie. en-) it seemd to be necessary to explain that it
didn't refer to purely isolated individuals, or was not possible for
isolated individuals, but was something social (since the 'self-' implied
not being social, which was also the problem with 'self-development').

I agree with you. I think the better term is the one used by Fromm, "man's
unfolding". This is much more clean than "self-unfolding" ("his [Illich]
concern for man's unfolding---physically, spiritually, and intellectual").

Since I had a copy of "Pedagogia degli Oppressi" at home in italian (I did an
exam in pedadogy on Ivan Illich when I was young ;-), I'll look for the
italian term too. A comparation of three languages is better than just two ;-)

Regards

--
Marco Ermini
http://www.markoer.org