Re: [ox-en] Questions about vocabulary

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Stefan Merten wrote:

Dear English speakers!

I'm currently preparing a short introduction to the Oekonux
discussion. It is called OEkoNuX (Oekonux Einführungskladde ohne
Nutzungsexlusion). In German an early version is already present on

	http://www.oekonux.de/einfuehrung/kladde/

It is planned to contain a collection of slides which have been
created by various people for introductory talks. It shall be both, a
collection of slides easy to put together to a complete talk tailored
for a specific audience, as well as an introduction to the Oekonux
discussion available on the web. Further plans are to make this an
OT-project so it is easy to enter new stuff and a format MagicPoint
can handle so you can put together the slides for a talk more or less
in five minutes.
Good idea!

Because I need exactly this in English, too, I'm currently translating
this Einführungskladde to English. Soon it'll reside under

	http://www.oekonux.org/introduction/blotter/

To make this as good as possible, however, I need some additional
vocabulary or may be only make sure the vocabulary I'm using is right.
Most of this is far simpler than "self-unfolding" ;-) . Please help.

Here comes the list

It's a bit hard to tell with abstract words without a sentence to give
them context, but here goes...

Produktionsweise =?= way of production
Not 'way'. 'Method' if you are talking in general terms; if this is the
word used to describe eg. slavery, or feudalism etc then 'mode of
production' (but usually only as a technical term, not in normal
conversation).

selbstorganisiert =?= self-managed
Sounds fine. Though I thought it mean self-organised before I saw this :-)

gesellschaftlich =?= societal

  I know, you usually write "social" here, but the focus is on the
  society here, so I thin "societal" is more correct.
Maybe; without a sentence to tell from, could be either..

Produktivkraft =?= productive power
What does the german word mean? Is 'produktivkraft' measured in units
of energy  (eg. horsepower) or is it more qualitative? If it's qualitative
then 'productive power' should be ok.

Klo =?= loo

  "Toilet" might be the official translation but I'd like to have a
  similar word to the German short and somewhat slang form of "Klo".
  The dictionary presented "loo" but I don't know the word.

'loo' won't work for a US audience. Another UK english word could be
'lav' but I don't think that exists in the US either? But 'The Utopian
John' won't work at all for a UK audience - they'd spend the first
paragraph wondering who John was.. I think you're stuck with toilet.