Re: [ox-en] linux & manufacturing

Hi Graham and list!

Yesterday Graham Seaman wrote:
http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/07/04/2352223.shtml?tid=23

is this their economy starting to become dependent on ours (the old mode
of production being edged out by the new)?

Well the new mode of production (Free Software) is more effective.
That goes to the heart of the argument saying that Free Software shows
that it is a way of production being more effective than the old
(capitalist) ways.

But they do not become dependent in the sense they depend on M$ or
other proprietary software vendors. The article even said, that at
least partially they have their own software people writing the
software for their assembly lines.

or part of linux being absorbed
by commercial interests (IBM using linux as a tool to grab market share)?
or both?

Both I guess. I think that's another example of the fact that Free
Software can indeed be used by capitalism. I see this as a sign of
Free Software being a synthesis pointing to a new form.

The critical question is whether Free Software - aka the germ form -
can be absorbed by capitalism. I still don't think so.