Re: [ox-en] Free (as in beer) public transport

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Chris Croome wrote:

Hi

I have been arguing for a long time with people that all public
transport should be free, I only today discovered that it has been
tried in one place:

IIRC, this also happens in some towns in the states. And if I remember
rightly also, this was a major source of embarassment for Brezhnev in the
70's - while he was still claiming the USSR was moving towards communism,
the ultra-capitalist USA had free phone calls inside towns and free
transport in some places. So although he did the same thing in the USSR
(I think transport was ultra-cheap rather than free, but in-city phone
calls were free) he STILL couldn't use it as a proof that state
scoialism was ahead of capitalism...

Whether I'm remembering that right or not, I just heard we're getting
free bikes in my part of London :-) ('bright yellow and vandal-proof')

Graham