[ox-en] Tim O'Reilly on the "architecture of participation"

Hi lists,

I just was pointed to

	http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3017

and find it quite interesting (though I'd not speak of "free market"
or "real free market" here). The things described here also give some
substance to the long-term H. thread in the German list.

Ahm, perhaps I should mention his own short bio:

  Tim O'Reilly is founder and CEO of O'Reilly & Associates and an
  activist for Internet standards and for open source software.

I think Tim O'Reilly is one of may be 10 or 20 persons who are most
visible in the field of Free Software / Open Source.

Some quotes:

  ... what really distinguishes open source is not just source, but an
  "architecture of participation" that includes low barriers to entry
  by newcomers, and some mechanism for isolating the cathedral from
  the bazaar. This architecture of participation allows for a real
  free market of ideas, in which anyone can put forward a proposed
  solution to a problem; it becomes adopted, if at all, by acclamation
  and the organic spread of its usefulness.

   All of the most significant open source communities have some
   centralized "cathedral" elements -- look at the way Linus controls
   what goes into the Linux kernel, or the way Larry Wall controls
   what goes into the design of Perl. But the most successful open
   source communities surround that cathedral with a bazaar that is
   significantly open. ...

   ... Empowerment of individuals is a key part of what makes open
   source work, since in the end, innovations tend to come from small
   groups, not from large, structured efforts. ...