Re: [ox-en] Tim O'Reilly on the "architecture of participation"

Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de> quoted:
  ... what really distinguishes open source is not just source, but an
  "architecture of participation" that includes low barriers to entry
  by newcomers, and some mechanism for isolating the cathedral from
  the bazaar. This architecture of participation allows for a real
  free market of ideas, in which anyone can put forward a proposed
  solution to a problem; it becomes adopted, if at all, by acclamation
  and the organic spread of its usefulness.

I find this laughable.  One of the largest differences between FSF
and OSI positions that I have found is their attitudes towards software
patents.  FSF are resolutely anti-swpat and "freedom to use" is part of
their free software definition.  OSI claim not to have a position on
this, thereby leaving the door open for opponents of a free market of
ideas to use patent law while still claiming to be "OSI open source".

Newbies who do not hold patents to trade in the cross-licensing game are
the losers.  I believe that patents on algorithms are a large obstruction
to freedom of thought in this space.  Another reason to reject "open
source".

--
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: slef jabber.at
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.