Re: [ox-en] OSS & post-development practices (waag, amsterdam, june 3)

On Wed, 21 May 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

geert lovink <geert desk.nl> wrote:
In the South (formerly called: the Third World), the use of Open Source
Software (OSS) spreads rapidly. The advantages of OSS over commercial
software are in the field of user freedom and often cost savings.

OSS, or rather free software and commerciality are orthogonal.

I'm taking this to mean [apropos Mervyn's mail] that they have no relation
to one another; they are orthogonal in the sense that movement along one
vector does not imply any movement along another vector at right angles to
it. I think that's a pretty common usage anyway. And I assume that the
complaint is that they wrote 'commercial' when they meant 'proprietary',
which is a mistake I used to keep making too. I guess all you can do is
keep pointing out to people that they're using the wrong term, and that it
causes real confusion by muddling together different things.

Another concern to me is the talk of "Intellectual Property Rights" which
implicitly accepts the notion that thoughts may be property of someone.

Yep, I keep seeing that and it's annoying. But when people are talking
about the bundle of laws (patent, copyright, trade secret, design rights
etc) all they have in common is exactly the idea of 'IPR'. So how do you
get round using that phrase personally? Stick 'so-called' in front of
it every time? I find I end up going for very long paraphrases just to
avoid saying 'IPR' and would like a better solution!

Cheers
Graham

Anyway, can someone give us the stream URL so we can observe, please?