[ox-en] Re: [ox] Englisch - nein! [was: Theses about the relation between the Oekonux ..]

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Franz Nahrada wrote:

Graham writes:
Ich zÃ?hle die Post.
I will count the mails].

will you weigh them also? and interpret them? ;-)
wirst Du sie auch abwägen und interpretieren?

Ich hoffe, das die leute schreibt nur 'ja, mir veragert', oder 'nein,
die andere sprache sind ok fur mich'. Aber wenn man schriebt etwas mehr
schwierig, muss ich auch abw#gen und interpretieren :-(
[I hope people will just write 'yes it annoys me' or 'no, other languages
are fine for me'. But if someone writes something more complicated I will
have to 'weight it up and interpret it']

(Explanation: we just have an ongoing discussion on the German list
triggered by Stefan Mertens latest post on the role of moderators in lists
:-) ...and Grahams dry English humour was provocing.  So by "counting the
mails" one could understand you dont give very much attention to them - or
one could understand the opposite: after five opposing mails the
experiment is finished. OK, lets just see...maybe you are much wiser to be
not so precise as the German language seems to force you to be)

Ah, the mysticism of the German language.  Are all Germans
Sapir/Whorf/Humboldtians? ;-)

But it's nothing so complex: I was just trying to write within the limits
of my ability in German.
As you can see above, writing something more complicated is too much for
me, and I am not sure if it is comprehensible for a German-only speaker.
However, weighing and interpreting OTHER people's German is much easier..

Wenn ich habe 5 Post 'contra', ich will zur liste schreiben 'ich habe 5
post contra'. Wenn mann schreibt etwas mehr schwierig, muss ich ein
Zusammenfassung machen. Normal, nein?
[If I get 5 mails 'against', I will report back 'I have 5 mails against'.
If people write something more complex, I will have to do a summary. Isn't
that normal?]

Graham
Franz

Web-Site: http://www.oekonux.de/