Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

see inline...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Hardie" <auskadi tvcabo.co.mz>
<SNIP>
For soemone like em having the source code is next to useless. What I need
is
knowledge.  So as someone who has started using FLOSS in the last year or
so
and is not a techie I soemtimes find instructions and even books (eg
Running
Linux) a little bit difficult.

Ditto. and I'm an "official techie" for wage-slavery purposes...
P.S. I can now hazard a guess as what FLOSS stands for.

This message is for who has an HP Laserjet 1000 or 1000w and would like to
make it work on a redhat linux system, optionally with samba sharing:

1. follow the instructions on http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/foo2zjs/
   to download and install.

   1.1 sometimes the ./getweb util fails with "Invalid PORT" and retries
       forever so ftp yourself ftp.hp.com:
        $ ftp ftp.hp.com (user: anonymous pwd: your email)

        ftp> cd /pub/softlib/software1/lj1488/lj-1145-2
        ftp> get lj1488en.exe
        ftp> quit

        $ unzip -o lj1488en.exe sihp1000.img  (this will unzip the
firmware
                                               for your printer)

2. connect and power up your printer

3. $ cat sihp1000.img > /dev/usb/lp0     (this will init your printer with
                                          its firmware)

4. use /usr/bin/redhat-config-printer and create a new queue using the Zj
Stream driver

5. test it (make sure cups is running - /sbin/service cups start):
   $ cd <dir where you unpack foo2zjs>
   $ lpr -P <your queue name> testpage.ps (this should print a test page
with
                                           redhat simbol and some infos)
6. if you have the original smb.conf it should share your printes for
samba clients (Windows etc..)

Looks like an ideal practice task for me to illustrate what a blueprint
looks like - I'll get too it as soon as time permits.

* Practice or Prxis and FLOSS is another interesting thing. I think its
relationship to thinking in the sense for example as described by Deleuze
that is as problem solvingis soemthing we could talk about at some time -
but
that is another story

But a story I'm interested in, for one. Can you run a gunzip (not literally!
:) on the above?