Re: [ox-en] Re: Software as society

On 12 Dec 2003 at 19:33, Rich Walker wrote:

software license. Moreover, I view the GPL as bad for the quality of
software and so the world would be a better place without it.

Umm; the fuzz tests and the  BSD network stacks are counter-examples.

Whoops! Hadn't thought of "quality" in terms of lack of bugs when I
wrote that - I meant the other quality ie; the Art of Motorcycle
Maintainance one.

The BSD network stack - everyone took their own copy, as is their
right. So when any fault was found, each vendor fixed it when they
realised in their own way. Many of the faults persisted for years.

I couldn't agree more. Code with source is code with less bugs
period.

Certainly for infrastructure code, GPL is essential.

Note how all the major infrastructure software projects are *not*
GPL. However I agree all infrastructure should come with source at
the very minimum and should probably enter the public domain after a
very short time or even better, be publicly funded.

Cheers,
Niall