Re: [ox-en] Re: Software as society (was: Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux)

On Sunday 14 December 2003 09:40, Seth Johnson wrote:
LOL

Naah, the GPL is a mindfuck, especially for where you're coming from.  The
GPL knows that "legal support for software" is lousy, because "legal
support for software" is **inherently** lousy.  But as long as ya wanna
try, it's there so those of us who see this, can proceed on our merry way,
because it uses that lousy system on its own terms to serve our wishes.

It's basically a dare:  "Go ahead; try to make a case against the GPL on
the basis of legal principle.  If you do, we'll just show how silly the
attempt is to apply those principles to software."  It will be quite fun to
watch, if and when it happens.

Seth

Probably the most honest, insightful and relevant thing ever said about the
GPL. If this is why you think they know what "they" are doing I now get your
point. But I do not share the optimism that it will all be funny in the end.
The problem is that it is a mind fuck in the context of US Constitutionalism -
a machine that knows but one value:
"the constitution is elevated to the kingdom of monetary circulation", money
replaces the frontier, ...  the "organism by which Hamilton is inspired is
that of the 'powerful abstraction' of money, of its circulation, and of its
pulse ... he ... reorganises power around financial capital."  Constituted
power erases "in the constitution the subjects that were its origin, it gives
back to society pure and simple constitutional products, juridicial
individuals ... one thing is forgotten: the creative capability of the
subjects ... (s)trengh has yielded to power, and nothing was left of it in
the constitution" .
Thanks Seth
--

http://openflows.org/~auskadi/

"Mind you, I am not asking you to bear witness to what you believe false,
which would be a sin, but to testify falsely to what you believe true - which
is a virtuous act because it compensates for lack of proof of something
that certainly exists or happened." Bishop Otto to Baudolino in Umberto Eco's
Baudolino.