Re: [ox-en] "The science of persuasion"

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Casimir Purzelbaum wrote:
I was not aware that there seems to be a common narrow usage of
"reciprocity" for saying "granting each other diplomatic
privileges". (Thanks for making me aware :-)
But even this seems to contradict your definition:

... The concept of reciprocity connotates an activity that is
not forced and unequal, but based on voluntary giving of gifts.

How do you conclude reciprocal meant "not forced" and "based on
voluntary giving of gifts"?

From context of the article. The dictionary meaning I think is used is
this:

"2. Done by each to the other; interchanging or interchanged; given and
received; due from each to each; mutual; as, reciprocal love; reciprocal
duties.
 Usage: Reciprocal, Mutual. The distinctive idea of mutual is, that the
parties unite by interchange in the same act; as, a mutual covenant;
mutual affection, etc. The distinctive idea of reciprocal is, that one
party acts by way of return or response to something previously done by
the other party; as, a reciprocal kindness; reciprocal reproaches, etc.
Love is reciprocal when the previous affection of one party has drawn
forth the attachment of the other. To make it mutual in the strictest
sense, the two parties should have fallen in love at the same time; but as
the result is the same, the two words are here used interchangeably. The
ebbing and flowing of the tide is a case where the action is reciprocal,
but not mutual."
(Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary)

Hope this clears up any confusion.

  - Per