Re: [ox-en] New economic model for free technology?

On Friday 21 October 2005 10:19, Stefan Merten wrote:

More and more I think this is why for personal services LETS may work
but if you try to scale it up you either fail or end up with the
standard money system.

it's not an either/or proposition - community currencies, particularly mutual
credit systems like LETS, work alongside normal money - they are
complementary and therefore can augment income flows.

as for scaling up, there is no reason why they can't but first you have to
understand multi-currencies - ie any network, any association, any community
can have its own money - ergo, many monies.

here are some diagrams that graphically show how multi-currency systems
work... http://www.openmoney.org/omp/brief.html#jump4
        http://www.openmoney.org/omp/brief.html#jump5
        http://www.openmoney.org/omp/brief.html#jump6

the point of it all is that there is no need to do without money when we can
create our own - ie people's basic income because there is always enough and
so it's easy to earn.

and yes, you can buy food with it.

I don't think that this can be accomplished by putting energy into
alternative money systems. It's simply a waste of time.

this is a clear indication to me that you don't think but if you do begin to
think, think complementary money systems rather than alternative.

and think outside your box - try reading and learning about the subject -
surely that's not a waste of your time.

you might also consider the possibility that open money systems will have as
big an effect as the internet, perhaps bigger.

ernie