Re: [ox-en] Obstacles for Free Products?

list-en oekonux.org on Montag, 24. Oktober 2005 at 21:47 Uhr [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] wrote:
Lately there are a number of interesting threads who basically revolve
around the question what could further Free Products or Free Modes of
activity. Perhaps before this question we should ask what are the
obstacles for Free Products / Free Activity currently.

Little time has been mentioned. (Though this is rather not a obstacle
but only slowing down the development.) Other ideas?

Hi Stefan,

first let me say that in my eyes the "slowing down" because of lack of
time is not just slowing down the development but a real killer. It
becomes more and more urgent when Free Modes are tackling with very
complex questions. The might start very easily with discussions, but when
we are really at the point of "sorting things out", we come to a breakdown
point where complexity cannot be handled. The bad things is that Free
Modes become discredited in the long run if we choose to allow this as the
natural condition of our being.

Of course there are more obstacles to Free Products/Free Activity.

1)  The corporate world floods the world with gadgets and destroy peoples
sense of quality.

2) The costs of research and development include testing and prototyping;
this might be prohibitive.

3) The "culture" around Free Modes depends on external factors. For
example, there is currently a very interesting discussion going on in the
Wikipedia Meta Group about the Wikiversity. It might not reach the point
of positive decision, because a very qualified minority is pointing out
that producing a university would require much more than just courseware
and learning material. There is certification, assurance and other things
that Wikiversity by itself could not reach.

This comes to my mind and there certainly will be other elements opposing
Free Modes.

Franz