Re: [ox-en] mozilla use of money

Hej Per,

Well, there is the problem. You think the purpose of open source
applications should be to generate money and be a success in the
marketplace.

i dont think we disagree on the fundamental goal... id like to see people using gimp instead of photoshop and
openoffice instead of word.

but imo this is inseparably linked to market forces. perhaps we disagree on the way there? i think generation of money is essential if one wants to achieve this. but im not sure to what extent this goes hand in hand with "careful accounting" and "anxious property protection".

there is open accounting (http://www.vodes.net/revstartshere/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=11&Itemid=133) and transparency (work in progress) but this is more to ensure that the money is indeed spend for the cause and does not go into the wrong pockets.

i dont think there is much "property protection" though. could you elaborate what you mean with that?

you made a couple of very good points regarding steering of a community. of course, i dont know if the idncc really provides for a better, fair and more effectivce community governance scheme; but i know there is only one way to find out. worst case, you end up knowning that its defenitely not the right thing to do. :)

i think ive talked enough about our project on this list. if someone is interested in providing critism, suggestions for improvements or working with us, please dont hesitate to drop me a line.

apologies to the others for the spam. :)