[ox-en] Canadian Music Creators Coalition

Hi list!

This is from http://www.musiccreators.ca/

  A NEW VOICE

  We are a growing coalition of Canadian music creators who share the
  common goal of having our voices heard about the laws and policies
  that affect our livelihoods. We are the people who actually create
  Canadian music. Without us, there would be no music for copyright
  laws to protect.

  Until now, a group of multinational record labels has done most of
  the talking about what Canadian artists need out of copyright.
  Record companies and music publishers are not our enemies, but let's
  be clear: lobbyists for major labels are looking out for their
  shareholders, and seldom speak for Canadian artists. Legislative
  proposals that would facilitate lawsuits against our fans or
  increase the labels' control over the enjoyment of music are made
  not in our names, but on behalf of the labels' foreign parent
  companies.

  It is the government's responsibility to protect Canadian artists
  from exploitation. This requires a firm commitment to programs that
  support Canadian music talent, and a fresh approach to copyright law
  reform. Canadian music creators have identified three principles
  that should guide the copyright reform process.

  1. Suing Our Fans is Destructive and Hypocritical

  Artists do not want to sue music fans. The labels have been suing
  our fans against our will, and laws enabling these suits cannot be
  justified in our names. We oppose any copyright reforms that would
  make it easier for record companies to do this. The government
  should repeal provisions of the Copyright Act that allow labels to
  unfairly punish fans who share music for non-commercial purposes
  with statutory damages of $500 to $20,000 per song.

  2. Digital Locks are Risky and Counterproductive

  Artists do not support using digital locks to increase the labels'
  control over the distribution, use and enjoyment of music or laws
  that prohibit circumvention of such technological measures. The
  government should not blindly implement decade-old treaties designed
  to give control to major labels and take choices away from artists
  and consumers. Laws should protect artists and consumers, not
  restrictive technologies. Consumers should be able to transfer the
  music they buy to other formats under a right of fair use, without
  having to pay twice.

  3. Cultural Policy Should Support Actual Canadian Artists

  The vast majority of new Canadian music is not promoted by major
  labels, which focus mostly on foreign artists. The government should
  use other policy tools to support actual Canadian artists and a
  thriving musical and cultural scene. The government should make a
  long-term commitment to grow support mechanisms like the Canada
  Music Fund and FACTOR, invest in music training and education,
  create limited tax shelters for copyright royalties, protect artists
  from inequalities in bargaining power and make collecting societies
  more transparent.