[ox-en] A 'Sharing' project

Hi,
I have been working on a project that I thought some of you might be
interested in. It's for people living in Dublin, Ireland - but I am very
interested in criticism from people on this mailing list. The project is
basically an attempt to facilitate the sharing of items such as tools,
books, and equipment that people may have lying around but aren't using.
The address of the website is:
http://ie.uk.to/

The project uses Xaraya ( http://www.xaraya.com/ ) - a free software
Content Management System / Applications Framework. I'm in the process
of writing a how-to for anyone else who wants to start a project like
this.

To use the terms that Yochai Benkler uses in 'Sharing Nicely: On
shareable goods and the emergence of sharing as a modality of economic
production'* ( http://benkler.org/SharingNicely.html ), this project -
at the moment - is primarily for "shareable goods" as opposed to "common
pool resources" or "club goods". To be more specific, it will probably -
at least in the beginning (and if it ever actually becomes functional) -
be used primarily for "individually owned goods" that simply have excess
capacity, rather than goods which have been outright donated to the
community or which the owner has abnegated ownership over entirely.
Having said that, if an individual wanted to permanently donate a good
to the community - there is some scope for doing this.

The project is not functional - as is fairly obvious from a quick
browse of the site. But hopefully it could at least provide a basis for
discussion and criticism. Also, if anyone is aware of similar projects,
please let me know about them.

* I'm still studying the paper - so forgive me if I'm misinterpreted
some aspect of it.

--
David Collins				GPG id 646C8A43