Re: [ox-en] CouchSurfing, and the Center for Adventure Economics

Kasper, if it's ok for you I would like to blog the following part of your message:

Since August last year I have spent a lot of time on CouchSurfing, a hospitality
exchange network. Right after the Wikimania in August 2006 I joined
the CS Collective
in Montreal and set up a wiki. Since then I've also started improving
the CS website.
I am pushing for a release of the software under a free license. We
just started a GPL
(side) project to make CouchSurfing accessible trough phones:
http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Phone_Network
And we're about to start a ride share system:
http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Rideshares

From http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Center_for_Adventure_Economics
We coin the term adventure economy to refer to a gift economy that is
pay-forward, in-person, global and among strangers. In any economy,
there are challenges in allocating resources effectively and avoiding
abuse, but these are of special concern in non-market economies among
strangers, where we don't have the information mechanisms of the price
system ([1], [2]) nor of wikipedia:social relations, and we are also
missing the risk-reduction mechanisms of contracts. In this group we
develop the allocation and risk-reduction mechanisms for CouchSurfing,
an adventure economy.

Also check out:
* http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Moving_from_free_software_to_free_life
* http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Motivations_for_a_non-market%2C_pay-it-forward_global_system
* http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Detmold_Collective, July 2007, close
to Bielefeld
* http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Beautiful_social_acts

Could you tell more about plans to open source the software running couchsurfing ? There are some people starting to work on a platform for "people supporting solidaric economy", for which this would be very interesting (see http://coforum.net/?6305 and http://coforum.net/?6302).

Thank you,
Thomas Kalka