Re: [ox-en] CouchSurfing, and the Center for Adventure Economics

On 2/14/07, Thomas Kalka <thomas.kalka googlemail.com> wrote:
Kasper, if it's ok for you I would like to blog the
following part of your message:

Of course!

Maybe I should put a CC-BY-SA license on all my publicly readable
written works? Is there an easy way to do that?

Could you tell more about plans to open source the software
running couchsurfing ?

Some of the programmers working on the code are strong proponents
of releasing the code under a free license. Sebastian hasn't even signed
the NDA, and is _not_ working on the CS code base, but on code that
can export user data in some open formats (possibly FOAF XML).
Some don't have strong ideas about it, and Casey (the founder of CS
who used to be the only programmer working on the code for a long time)
has some concerns.
As long as Casey doesn't agree we can't release anything.
So we wrote down his concerns on a wiki page:
http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Problems_with_releasing_the_code

If/when we can go ahead I would like to release a small part of the
code, in order to attract more people who can do a security audit.

In the meanwhile, there are some projects related to CouchSurfing,
but not using the same code base, that will be released under the
GNU GPL. Notable the Phone System, based on Ruby and Asterisk:
http://wiki.couchsurfing.com/en/Phone_Network
And we're planning a ride share system.

There are some people starting to work on a platform for
"people supporting solidaric economy",
for which this would be very interesting (see
http://coforum.net/?6305 and http://coforum.net/?6302).

Very interesting.
It would be great if you could join the Detmold Collective in July,
for at least a couple of days.

bye,
Kasper