Re: [ox-en] Re: Material peer production

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:32:47 -0800 (PST), Michael Bauwens
<michelsub2003 yahoo.com> wrote:

As mentioned, so did HURD? Where is HURD?

I have no idea what HURD is, a piece of free software that no longer
exists?;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurd

HURD is the original GNU kernel project, it still exists, and has
been considered "superior" to "monolithic" kernels by the GNU project
since the beginning, many prominent members and supporters of which
considered Linux already "obsolete" when it was released.

Despite predating Linux and having the support of some of the most
capable and influential free software advocates, there is still no
usable GNU distribution based on HURD.

Why? Linux worked fine for the quick deployment of web servers by the
exploding webhosting/ecommerce/dotCom industry.

HURD has not found it's commercial application, thus has no support.

The last sentence of the "Development history" section in the _current_
wikipedia article is:

    "The Debian project, among others, have started work on
     the HURD project to speed up development"