Re: [ox-en] DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT - CfC for the conference - DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT

Hi StefanMz, Michel, Yuwei, all!

Yuwei did some changes to the Wiki page. See

	http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/Oekonux/Project/Conferences/4thConference/CallForContributions?action=diff&rev2=6&rev1=5

for her changes.

Last week (10 days ago) Stefan Meretz wrote:
On 2008-02-24 12:39, Stefan Merten wrote:
Please do read it and feel free to comment particular points as well
as to do more general remarks.

Nice and short -- very good!

And very little comments. Probably a good sign :-) .

I noticed that in earlier calls we had a description of the Oekonux
project. Is this (still?) necessary (if so this time probably
accompanied by a description of the P2P Foundation).

* Reports from peer production projects such as
[...]
  * Blogosphere
[...]
  * Flickr, MySpace and the like

My only question is, whether "Blogosphere" and "Flickr, MySpace and the
like" are really peer production (projects).

IMHO in both cases there is peer production of societal useful things.

The Blogosphere seem to me really a peer production phenomenon where
single persons or small groups (usually) volunteer to create a common
product open for use and re-use. The Blogosphere is also open
internally and externally (through the comments) so I think it is
really a peer production phenomenon. BTW: I once thought that
indymedia could be the peer replacement of journalism. Today I'd favor
the Blogosphere for this role.

The other projects I named have similar characteristics - though
MySpace probably should be replaced by YouTube. They are projects
where volunteers upload there own stuff which is used and re-used by
others. Very similar to Free Software IMHO.

May be the concrete projects could be chosen better - I'm not yet an
expert here.

Yuwei changed this to

	* Social Networking Sites (Facebook, Flickr, YouTube and the like)

I know Xing best which is probably a pure social networking site. IMHO
social networking sites are not a peer production phenomenon because
there is nothing produced. Similar argument would apply to Orkut,
StudiVZ and probably also Facebook.

So I'd propose

    * Peer production platforms like Flickr and YouTube

to make this clearer.

Last week (10 days ago) Michel Bauwens wrote:
[Converted from multipart/alternative]

BTW: I'm working on a solution to automate this conversion...

[1 text/plain]
Here is where I make my distinction between a sharing economy and a true
commons.

In the sharing economy, users are still creating and sharing use value, but
using proprietary platforms.

That is important but IMHO is neither a for nor against their
inclusion - at least not primarily. SourceForge for instance is also a
commercial platform hosting (lots of) Free Software projects.

I would consider one of the hybrids of peer production, in need of
understanding and critique.

That is something which I'd also consider interesting for the
conference.

In both cases I think they should definitely stay on the list. They
have interesting features at least very close to if not identical with
criteria for peer production phenomenons and they are contemporary.

I include the modified version including some changes I did to Yuwei's
modifications. It is also on the Wiki.

--- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< ---
.. container:: center

   **Call for Contributions**

   to the

   **4th Oekonux Conference**

   in collaboration with

   **P2P Foundation**

During the past decade the phenomenon of Free Software has become
successful and well-known. It is still amazing how in the realm of
software the creativity of so many volunteers leads to products which
are useful for the whole mankind. In 1999 the `Oekonux Project`_ started
with analyzing this phenomenon and trying to understand the special
features of Free Software as a social and political enterprise.

Today, beyond the Free Software world, projects based on a similar
approach of *peer production* are rapidly emerging, including
Wikipedia and many more. It is time to look at peer production from a
broader perspective.

This is the goal of the `4th Oekonux conference`_ which is done in
collaboration with the `P2P Foundation`_. Under the title

.. container:: center

   **Free Software and Beyond**

   **The World of Peer Production**

we are planning a conference where

* researchers and activists meet

* intensive discussions are possible

* experiences can be shared and learned.

We are calling for contributions about the big world of peer
production. Possible themes include (but not limited to):

* Reports from peer production projects such as

  * Wikipedia

  * Blogosphere

  * Design communities

  * OpenAccess movement

  * Open Music

  * Free Culture

  * Peer production platforms like Flickr and YouTube

  * Free Software

* Peer production and capitalism

  * General relationship

  * Peer production and commercial interests

  * Peer production and the state

  * Peer production and political approaches of the past

* Peer governance

  * Peer governance in general

  * Peer ownership

  * Maintainership and conflict resolution

* Material peer production

  * Existing projects

  * Theoretical approaches

If you want to

* give a talk

* prepare a workshop

* moderate a round table discussion

please submit a short outline of your idea to projekt oekonux.de.
(Mails to this address are archived on the web. Please ask there if
this is a problem for you.) If you want to add some other kind of
contribution or have other questions please also don't hesitate to
contact this address.

Important information:

* Deadline for applications: 31 October 2008

* Final decision on acceptance: 15 December 2008

* Conference date: 27-29 March 2009

* Conference location: Manchester, UK

* Contact address: projekt oekonux.de

* Conference language: English

* Previous conference: `3rd Oekonux conference`_

.. _Oekonux Project: http://www.oekonux.org/

.. _P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net/

.. _4th international conference: http://www.oekonux-conference.org/

.. _3rd Oekonux conference: http://third.oekonux-conference.org/