(start of 3)

extra: http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/johan-soberbergh-on-the-capture-of-the-value-created-by-user-communities/2008/03/11

Michel

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Stefan Meretz <stefan.meretz hbv.org> wrote:
On 2008-03-24 05:32, Michel Bauwens wrote:
 > So where exactly is the change in your own assessment?

 The main change is, that I previously argued, that proprietary software
 is a thing of value and free software is not. Now, I would say, that
 both are free of value. Thus, today I agree with the following cite,
 which I didn't in 2003:

   Just because proprietary software has no value, does not mean it has
   no effect on profits. The sale of proprietary software is a means for
   transferring surplus value between sectors: in particular from the
   developing world to the US, but also from the 'old' to the 'new'
   economy within the US/Europe. It lowers profits in the old sector and
   in the developing world. FS blocks this transfer.

 Author was Graham: http://www.oekonux.de/liste/archive/msg07139.html
 when the oekonux debate was done mainly in german.

 The main argument for is mentioned in the headline: Information goods
 are genuine societal goods, even when they are produced in a closed
 proprietary way.

 However, one should see, that I am in a minor position within the (more
 or less) marxian discourse, even in keimform, but it is not necessary
 to treat it as a religious point.

 Ciao,

 Start here: www.meretz.de

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview
at http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU