Useful for whom? (was: Re: [ox-en] DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT - CfC for the conference - DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT)

Hi Nate and list!

Yesterday nathaniel tkacz wrote:
hi list - a first post for me.

Welcome :-) !

i think that some of the above
discussion re 'sharing economy' is probably something that could be
left to be thought through at the conference itself. i would however,
think carefully about the assumptions in this passage:

It is still amazing how in the realm of
software the creativity of so many volunteers leads to products which
are useful for whole mankind.

i have no qualm with the slightly utopian posture, but the passage:
'useful for whole mankind', is a little presumptuous (can one speak
for a totality so easily?),

Ok.

not to mention grammatically incorrect.

Did I mention that I'm glad that my mother tongue (German) is not
abused so often by all these non-native speakers ;-) ?

would also avoid the term 'mankind' for obvious reasons. i suggest:
"...leads to products that have proven beneficial across a range of
cultures"

I see and agree that this is certainly a far more cautious formulation
and I can easily agree with it.

So if I understand you correctly then you main point is the totality.
But isn't software even *potentially* useful for those who don't use
computers?

i hope this is useful.

Certainly.