Re: Re: [ox-en] Re: The nature of apple trees

Interesting contribution on motivation.

I think the reason we believe that peer production is hyperproductive is
that it largely eliminates the extrinsic motivations, but as you say, there
are tasks that are not motivating in that way, yet need to be done. This is
what Siefkes solution addresses elegantly,but as we can see, there are no
signs at all that it is being implemented anywhere. So barring such
experiments which can establish that pattern as a solution, we need to find
a separate solution for non-intrinsically motivating tasks.

A universal equivalent like money certainly seems an elegant solution,
because the positive extrinsic motivation of self-interest through
equivalent exchange, seems a better method than coervice negative
motivation.

In the short term, and this is what happened with Linux and other
successfull projects, the companies that profit from the commons create a
market, and hence can fund wage labour, and on top of that they practice
benefit-sharing, so that the infrastructure of cooperation can be
maintained. I understood from talking with some programmers, that part of
them really do what they want, so even the market wage functions more as a
basic income, than as a conditional wage (though I'm not sure what
percentage of paid free software programmers fall in that category).

In the mid-term, with a stronger social movement, we can imagine that
partner state policies may initiative life career mgt. options, which allow
people to move in and out of the market regularly, in order to participate
in voluntary peer production.

In the long term, the basic income would be the best solution. A basic
income automatically enables leaving the market, while, because survival is
assured, it is the difficult to do jobs that will tend to be best paid, and
therefore, this is an elegant solution.

In the end, I imagine a situation where you are not paid for what you like
to do, not directly anyway, but only to diverst your attention to concrete
social needs that won't be met otherwise. For example, though my work for
the p2p-f was not sustainable, I did get income, not for my passionate work,
but for devoting my say, to a lecture or workshop. I was paid in other
words, to direct my attention away from the natural self-unfolding, towards
the needs of others.

If that part of the income had been high enough, then this was an entirely
acceptable lifestyle,

Michel