[ox-en] On Bits and Pieces * How Information and Matter Are Similar

Hi list!

I just submitted to the SIGINT 2010. It was a nice opportunity to
write something about the similarities of matter and information if
the perspective is society.

Please find below a preliminary set of slides. As always comments,
ideas and improvements are welcome.

A copy which is better readable can be found at

	http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/StefanMerten/Talks/BitsAndPieces#slides

=== 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< ===

==================
On Bits and Pieces
==================

--------------------------------------
How Information and Matter Are Similar
--------------------------------------

From concepts...
================

Matter as a concept
-------------------

  Matter is a general term for the substance of which *physical
  objects* are made. [...]

  -- `Wikipedia on matter`_ (emphasis by me)

  .. _Wikipedia on matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter

* As part of physics matter is a part of nature

* In fact matter is the basis of *everything*

Information as a concept
------------------------

  [...] In its most restricted technical meaning information is an
  ordered sequence of *symbols*. [...]

  -- `Wikipedia on information`_ (emphasis by me)

  .. _Wikipedia on information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information

* The concept of symbols makes sense only for *living beings*

  * A rock doesn't send or recognize symbols

  * But even the simplest life forms process information from their
    environment

Information and its substrate
-----------------------------

* Information is important...

* ...but still this is a *material world*

* Every symbol needs a *physical substrate* to exist

  * A novel needs paper to be printed on

  * A computer program needs some sort of memory to exist

  * Even a thought needs a brain holding it

Structure as the common denominator
-----------------------------------

* Natural matter is mostly *uninteresting*

  * Such as rocks, air, water

* Matter becomes interesting when it gets a *structure*

  * Such as an apple, a table, a computer

* Symbols are matter where the *material aspect is secondary*

  * The *structure* of the matter is primary

  * Such as books, DVDs, bits in main memory

  * You can burn a book but that is not what it is made for

* Physical substrate makes information a special form of matter

Production and structure
------------------------

* Question: How does structure come about?

* Answer: By a production process

* Production is literally the process where *structure is built*

  * Material production *structures matter*

  * Immaterial production structures symbols

  * ...which means *structuring matter* to represent symbols

* This way to society!

...to society...
================

Production as the common denominator
------------------------------------

* If structure is the common denominator of matter and information

* If structure is built by production

* If production is the fundament of society

* Then *matter and information are the same* with respect to the
  fundament of society

Production and rivalness
------------------------

* Rivalness: If I use a good you can't use it any more

* Usually: Distinction between rival and non-rival goods

  * An *apple* is considered rival

  * *Streets* are considered non-rival

  * But what about a *traffic jam*?

* My claim: Rivalness is not a feature of the good

  * Instead: *Rivalness* depends on the *availability*

  * *Availability* is a result of the *production process*

Means of production
-------------------

* Some products are special

  * They can be used to create other products

  * Called means of production

  * They are built to make production possible

* The availability of means of production is key for any production

  * Without the means of production many products can not be produced

  * Availability of means of production determines the production
    process

  * Production process determines the availability of products

...and into the future
======================

Information and production
--------------------------

* To use an information good I need to have the information good

  * Having an information good means: having a physical substrate
    structured according to the information

* I.e.: An information good must be produced to be used

Information production in the past
----------------------------------

* Hand and ink

  * Slow, lots of skilled labor, no mass production, cheap means of
    production

  * Information goods were not available

* Printing press

  * Fast, some skilled labor, mass production, expensive means of
    production, centralized

  * Information goods from some were available

* TV

  * Fast, some skilled labor, mass production, expensive means of
    production, centralized

  * Information goods from some were available

Why information seems different
-------------------------------

* Digital copy

  * Fast, labor of any kind, mass production, cheap means of
    production, decentralized

  * Information goods from everyone everywhere

* Today information is considered non-rival

  * But this was not the case for long time in history

  * Reason: the means of production of information were not available

  * They are today by *global digital copy* (aka Internet)

Next steps

* So far: The Internet and its offspring *peer production* enabled a
  new perspective for the future

* A wider availability of means of productions for material products
  may have a similar effect