[more comments below]

Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 11:18 pm
Hi Biella and all!

5 days ago Stefan Merten wrote:
Last week (9 days ago) Gabriella Coleman wrote:
Hi everyone,

So here are some of the sites I was thinking of. The first
one does not
qualify as minimal but is perhaps the best example of a site that
integrates audio visual material quite beautifully:

http://canopycanopycanopy.com/

Oops - do we need something like this?

Then there are other sties that are blogs but are being
configured more
like magazines than blogs:

http://www.lonegunman.co.uk/2009/11/25/blogs-designed-like-
magazines/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LoneGunman+(Lone+Gunman)
Hmm... I don't know whether the standard skins provide designs like
this.

Finally: I agree that simple is good. But hopefully we can manage
something that is simple but professional looking and aesthetically
strong. I think Fast Capitalism has some of these qualities
though I am
not crazy about the color scheme:

http://www.uta.edu/huma/agger/fastcapitalism/5_2/home.html

Looks like being easier to reach.

I am sure other folks have suggestions and samples so do send
along.
I set up a survey_ for now. It should be visible to all accounts I
created.

.. _survey: http://cspp.oekonux.org/scientific-
committee/website/skin-survey

This results in an error message ('The error has been logged as entry number                  1270591101.840.147597876199')

Well, I now created the survey. You can check out the designs linked
to the questions and give your opinion. Or you can check through all
`available Plone themes`_ and suggest some more skins to choose from.

I don't mind this: http://plone.org/products/stanch though its not very jolly I'm afraid. In terms of structure there does not seem to be much flexibility - most of the skins I looked at had basically one narrow column with login boxes, calendar and a wider main column with some text. I was wondering if we could have boxes with text or visuals like in Biella's first example? From StefanMn's response below this does not seem possible..? My question is what else can we have within those two columns? Because right now it looks quite bloggy and I thought we did not want that (at least some of us don't)...

.. _available Plone themes: http://plone.org/products/by-
category/themes
In any case: Don't focus on colors and pictures / logos. These
can be
changed relatively easily. Look for the structure and things like
icons.

How to continue from here? I'd suggest to allow for some time (two
weeks) for more suggestions on skins. Then have another two
weeks for
a survey. Better ideas? Mathieu?

I think we need to figure out what is possible within Plone - do we always need to have the column with login / calendar for example? I think a few boxes with text or visuals could be added?

cheers

Mathieu

****
Dr Mathieu O'Neil
Adjunct Research Fellow
Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
College of Arts and Social Science
The Australian National University
email: mathieu.oneil[at]anu.edu.au
web: http://adsri.anu.edu.au/people/visitors/mathieu.php