Message 00484 [Homepage] [Navigation]

[jox] Strategy / Content

Hi all

 It has been such a long hiatus in communication that it feels weird to speak up again..

 I was hoping to announce that the revised version of my paper on WP and critique was finished, but it still needs a bit of work. It has come a long way though, thanks  again to the reviewers.

 Will post the reviews along with the finished revision.

 The other research paper (on the Swedish file sharing) is also being reworked, hopefully finished soon?

 Once all that is done we will be ready to (finally aargh) formally announce our existence to the world and issue our Call For Papers based on our initial offering which consists of:

 -two research papers (one by the editor)
 -two conference reports
 -three debate papers (one by the editor)

 Quality-wise it will be good but in terms of numbers it is pretty thin gruel.

 Now, CSPP is a distinctive publication because of two things:
 -its political angle (peer production blah blah SOCIAL CHANGE)
 -its publication and review process (more on that in another email)

 So for me at the end of the day I don't mind spending x hours working on a paper for this journal even though I know at this point it is not exactly a top-notch impact factor investment and even though it might look weird for the editor to be authoring so much content - its the right thing to do, I believe in it etc

 But - its not sustainable for me to do this alone.

 More importantly, we need more "juice" in our initial CFP.

 So what I was thinking is: bouncing off on the suggestion made a few months ago - on the CFP, we need a big old bunch of (additional / associate) editors who have good cred on their topic and are willing to sherpa a couple papers, plus maybe write one (or at least an intro) themselves for a special issue. By "sherpa" I do not simply mean waiting for the papers to trickle in but rather actively seeking out and approaching potential authors (precisely what I did for the Swedish file sharing paper).

 Based on previous interactions and known interests here is a tentative list of possible candidates (any other persons interested and competent please let it be known):

 [Feminism? Ecology?]

Biella
 Debian, free software?

 Johan
 Hardware hacking, political economy?

 Athina
 IR?

 Lincoln
 Critical theory?*

 Mayo
 Organisation?

 Simon
 File sharing, piracy?

 Felix
 Art?

 Maurizio
 Free software?

 Ed
 Economics of peer production?

 Stefans
 Political economy?

 Mathieu
  Organisation, expertise?

 So, what do those people think? I can't think of any other way to imbue energy and appeal to the project.

 cheers,

 Mathieu

 * There is a lot of interest in critical theory in Internet studies these days. Christian Fuchs just published a book on the topic (have not read it yet) and Jeremy Hunsinger (a US academic, active in AOIR) released a CFP for sub-editors a month ago on "CT and the Internet" for a long-term online publication. I contacted him to tell him about CSPP and ask whether a joint publication might be in order ("CT and PP"), and he responded that he did not think cross-publication was a good idea. I still think duplicating the effort seems silly and do not despair of bringing him around eventually... something to think about